Monday, February 4, 2013

You're Still My Hero

Go ahead, have another drink, see if I notice.

Pour just half a glass more and throw the bottle away.

And focus your wary stare anywhere but me,

Because you know I'm angry, angry that you would open up these scars again.

You think I'm so invincible that I don't feel them,

Or maybe it's that I'm pathetic enough to prove I can't get over them.

But time didn't heal my memory like whiskey did yours.

So excuse me if I hate that you defend the choice that collapsed me.

Buried parts of me so deep, I'm scared I'll never see them again,

The parts of me that screamed and fought and cried and didn't care.

As you said, you made me who I am.

Now I'm as broken as you are, and just as good at hiding it.

Only I don't need to burn my heart with a bitter taste to keep on living.

Do you hate that I'm still stronger than you?

2 comments:

  1. You know I love you, but I'll say it a few more times just for good measure.

    ReplyDelete