Sunday, April 21, 2013

The River Can Wash Me Away



Loosen the knots, and take your time, I know you're not a sailor. But you're sure and that's a start, these ties were never meant to stay. Each strand threaded with the days we've spent together, but the matches are waiting in their perfectly fitting box. Get to the other side, love. Here's the gasoline, pour it behind you.

You look at me one more time before the crossing and I see in those storming eyes that this is no mistake, but you take me in and kiss me anyway. A kiss that tastes like summer nights and desperation. But the moment is gone before I even open my eyes, and you're staring at me from across the gap.

Match is lit and set against the rope, it burns and cracks and sizzles. It sends sparks to the sky that disappear before me and as I look for you, you're gone. The smoke fills my lungs, but I'm used to the smell. The bridge falls, and I jump with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment